- Check first the table of compatibilities and minimal requirements:
- Upgrades within a Caldera release like V13.0 to V13.1 are free of charge, as long as you have a Version 13 license. Upgrading from V11 to V14 for example requires a V14 license purchase or a CalderaCare contract which includes updates.
- In case of a major update like version 11 to version 14.x it's advised to create a backup of the old version.
Mac users can use Time Machine and Linux users can use the backup scripts:
The backup scripts are to be found on our Workspace under Downloads > Software > Direct access to resources > Additional resources
- The upgrade also goes a lot faster when the Spooler and Image preview window are cleaned ahead of time.
- If a complete backup is not desired or possible (when going from Linux to Mac for example) then at least create a media patch of your custom icc profiles:
- Caldera provides version upgrades in the form of a calpatch (Usually a large file anywhere from 4GB up to 5.3 GB in size). So allow enough time for the download.
Starting with version 13.0, the large calpatch upgrades are no longer used. So download the ISO (Linux) or DMG (Mac OS) install.
The DMG/ISO is then used to upgrade an older Caldera version. Make sure that upon first start after the install/upgrade to select to "Keep my settings" as this will maintain the existing settings (Quickprints, media profiles etc.).
Linux users are able to use CalderaDock to mount the disk image,
- After the version upgrade install, also check for more recent printer drivers (Any driver with a revision A/B/C/D etc is more recent than the version upgrade or disk image will install).
- Caldera also offers so called build patches. These patches usually contain bug fixes and minor enhancements. These patches are to be installed as well (latest build for version 14.0 is build 201207)
Current updates, disk images, build patches and driver updates are available on the Caldera Workspace to registered users: https://workspace.caldera.com/
As an example a typical upgrade scenario (version 11.2 to version 14):
Current version is V11.2, printer HP-Latex-570 and the license supports version 14 (V11 to V14 is a paid upgrade, so only upgrade when you have purchased a V13 license and are in possession of the activation code)
go to the Workspace, https://workspace.caldera.com/ and follow the instructions in the wizard.
- First download the version update to V14 (Download & Install Area > Installation Packages > Upgrading an old version to version 14):
Then select the operating system.
The Mac OS upgrade uses the dmg (Mac OS disk image), just double click to mount.
Linux based install is using the ISO or disk image. Keep in mind that under Linux the disk image needs to be mounted first (Use the Caldera Mount tool for this purpose or the CalderaDock mount option).